S&THex is a software tool that is made to demonstrate the chemical design and rating calculations of Shell & Tube Heat Exchangers. The software unlike other tools, ensures that the calculations are performed step by step to help in understanding the calculations.
• Step by step design and rating calculations.
• Support S.I Units and English (U.S) Units of measurement
• Rating and Design Modes• Units converter containing 23 measurements and 200 units conversions
• Save, Load and generate result in different formats
• Compare unlimited cases in data grid table
• Add your own Nusselt number correlation to be used in the design mode or rating mode. The correlation can be added in the following format;
Nusselt number = C * [Reynolds number ^ a] * [Prandtl number ^ b] * [Viscosity term ^ c]
Where; C, a, b and c are input variable defined by the user. the user can also choose to omit the viscosity term if needed.
• Generate Results and export it to Shell & Tube Engineering Data sheet that can be also saved as a .pdf document.
• Export results to Microsoft excel generated data sheet for editing.
• Export Results summary to .csv file format that can be opened in Microsoft Excel• Export Results summary to .rtf file format that can be opened in Microsoft Word
• Print preview / print Results summary
The software performs many thermal analysis calculations and some mechanical calculations, as it is too lengthy to list all the calculations, a summary has been listed below.
• Unknown Flow rate on either shell or tube side
• Unknown temperature on shell side or tube side
• Unknown exit temperatures on both sides
• Duty, Area, Shell and Tube velocities
• Number of Baffles and Baffle spacing, Number of tubes, Scale resistance (dirt factor)
• Overall heat transfer coefficient for both Clean, Fouled and Required conditions
• Select from different correlations to calculate shell or tube heat transfer coefficient
• Shell/Tube side Reynolds & Nusselt numbers
• Pressure Drops
• Recommended minimum shell thickness, minimum recommended number & diameter of rods.• Calculate Shell/Nozzle/Channel/Head/Tube sheet Thickness.
• Number of transfer units, Effectiveness, Thermal capacity ratio
• Pumping power / Inlet and Exit Nozzles pressure losses / Scale resistance Calculators
• Ability to import properties to Shell/Tube sides form Microsoft Excel very useful if you want to import your own physical properties Included
The demo version will function with limitations for 90 days with the 5 examples setup in the demo
Click to Download Shell & Tube Heat Exchanger Design
To see more screen shots please follow the links on our screen shots page
To view a demonstration video on YouTube please see below:
Interface video – Click here
Design Mode Example 1 – Click here
Design Mode Example 2 – Click here
Rating mode example 1 – Click here
Rating mode example 2 – Click here
Importing physical property file – Click here
Temperature calculation video clip click here
- Estimate the Physical properties of pure components for more than 1450 components; the database has the ability to estimate Thermal Conductivity, Density, Heat Capacity and Viscosity. The database also included critical properties, boiling and melting points and come as a standalone interface but easily integrated with the software.
• Estimate mixture properties. (ALL ESTIMATION METHODS CURRENTLY SUPPORT LIQUIDS ONLY)
- Ability to add your own properties in the additional user databases.
- Tube counts
- Fouling factors and Overall heat transfer coefficients included.
- Material thermal conductivities
- Standard pipe sizes and Birmingham Wire Gage Scale
Below are a tabulated list of calculations, this list below isn’t conclusive and other calculations are also performed based on conditions.
Rate an existent Design
Design a New Exchanger
|Unknown Inlet temperature on either shell or tube / hot or cold sides||–||Calculate|
|Unknown Outlet temperature on either shell or tube / hot or cold sides||–||Calculate|
|Unknown two Temperatures one shell side and another tube sides||–||Calculate|
|Unknown Flow rate on either sides||–||Calculate Mass flow or Volumetric flow based on selection|
|Shell Diameter||–||Calculate or Enter|
|Shell Thickness||–||Calculate or Enter|
|Minimum Recommended Shell Thickness||–||Calculate|
|Baffle minimum recommended thickness||–||Calculate|
|Bundle to Shell clearance||–||Calculate or Enter|
|Baffle to Shell diametral clearance||–||Calculate or Enter|
|Number of Baffles||–||Calculate|
|Baffle Spacing||–||Calculate or Enter|
|Prandtl numbers, Reynolds numbers||Calculate||Calculate|
|Unknown Outlet temperatures on both sides||Calculate||Calculate|
|Heat Duty||Required input but can Calculate||Calculate or Enter if Exit temperatures are unknown|
|Heat Transfer Area||Required input but can Calculate||Calculate|
|Log Mean Temperature Difference (Co-Current and Counter Current Flows)||Calculate||Calculate|
|Tube wall temperature||–||Calculate|
|Velocities (Shell and Tube sides)||Calculate||Calculate|
|Volumetric Flow rate||Calculate||Calculate|
|Number of tubes||Required input||Calculate|
|Tube to tube Clearance||Calculate||Calculate|
|Number of tubes per pass||Calculate||Calculate|
|Tube cross sectional||Calculate||Calculate|
|Area per pass||Calculate||Calculate|
|Number of transfer units||Calculate||Calculate|
|Thermal Capacity Ratio||Calculate||Calculate|
|Nusselt Number||Calculate based on correlation selection or Enter||Calculate based on correlation selection or Enter|
|Heat Transfer Coefficients on both sides||Calculate or Enter||Calculate or Enter|
|Scale Resistance (Dirt Factor)||Calculate||Calculate|
|Pressure Drops: Shell/Tube/Nozzles||Calculate||Calculate|
|Overall Heat Transfer Coefficients (Clean and Design)||Calculate||Calculate|
|Overall Heat Transfer Coefficients (Required)||–||Calculate|
|Over design and Over Surface||–||Calculate|
|Tube hole diameter – Baffles||–||Calculate|
|Recommended Tie Rod diameter||–||Calculate|
|Minimum number of Tie Rods||–||Calculate|
|Tube Sheet Thickness||–||Calculate|
|Tube Channel Thickness||–||Calculate|
Operating System: Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10
Microsoft.net framework 4.5 installed