S&THex is a software tool that is made to demonstrate the chemical design and rating calculations of Shell & Tube Heat Exchangers. The software unlike other tools, ensures that the calculations are performed step by step to help in understanding the calculations.
- Step by step design and rating calculations.
- Support S.I Units and English (U.S) Units of measurement
- Rating and Design Modes
- Units converter containing 23 measurements and 200 units conversions
- Save, Load and generate result in different formats
- Compare unlimited cases in data grid table
- Add your own Nusselt number correlation to be used in the design mode or rating mode. The correlation can be added in the following format;
Nusselt number = C * [Reynolds number ^ a] * [Prandtl number ^ b] * [Viscosity term ^ c]
Where; C, a, b and c are input variable defined by the user. the user can also choose to omit the viscosity term if needed.
• Generate Results and export it to Shell & Tube Engineering Data sheet that can be also saved as a .pdf document.
• Export results to Microsoft excel generated data sheet for editing.
• Export Results summary to .csv file format that can be opened in Microsoft Excel• Export Results summary to .rtf file format that can be opened in Microsoft Word
• Print preview / print Results summary
The software performs many thermal analysis calculations and some mechanical calculations, as it is too lengthy to list all the calculations, a summary has been listed below.
- Unknown Flow rate on either shell or tube side
- Unknown temperature on shell side or tube side
- Unknown exit temperatures on both sides
- Duty, Area, Shell and Tube velocities
- Number of Baffles and Baffle spacing, Number of tubes, Scale resistance (dirt factor)
- Overall heat transfer coefficient for both Clean, Fouled and Required conditions
- Select from different correlations to calculate shell or tube heat transfer coefficient
- Shell/Tube side Reynolds & Nusselt numbers
- Pressure Drops
- Recommended minimum shell thickness, minimum recommended number & diameter of rods.
- Calculate Shell/Nozzle/Channel/Head/Tube sheet Thickness.
- Number of transfer units, Effectiveness, Thermal capacity ratio
- Pumping power / Inlet and Exit Nozzles pressure losses / Scale resistance Calculators
- Ability to import properties to Shell/Tube sides form Microsoft Excel very useful if you want to import your own physical properties Included
The demo version will function with limitations for 90 days with the 5 examples setup in the demo, some features that has been added in newer revisions of this software may not be available.
To check the latest update history of this software against the version you have to see what was added please click here
To see more screen shots please follow the links on our screen shots page
To view a demonstration video on YouTube please see below:
Interface video – Click here
Design Mode Example 1 – Click here
Design Mode Example 2 – Click here
Rating mode example 1 – Click here
Rating mode example 2 – Click here
Importing physical property file – Click here
Temperature calculation video clip click here
- Estimate the Physical properties of pure components for more than 1450 components; the database has the ability to estimate Thermal Conductivity, Density, Heat Capacity and Viscosity. The database also included critical properties, boiling and melting points and come as a standalone interface but easily integrated with the software.
• Estimate mixture properties. (ALL ESTIMATION METHODS CURRENTLY SUPPORT LIQUIDS ONLY)
- Ability to add your own properties in the additional user databases.
- Backup and restore user databases
- Tube counts
- Fouling factors and Overall heat transfer coefficients included.
- Material thermal conductivities
- Standard pipe sizes and Birmingham Wire Gage Scale
Chart Plotting Feature
- Heat duty versus Temperature
- Number of Tube passes Versus Tube side Pressure Drop
- Temperature profile (inlet and outlet temperature profile for both shell and tube sides)
Below are a tabulated list of calculations, this list below isn’t conclusive and other calculations are also performed based on conditions.
Rate an existent Design
Design a New Exchanger
|Unknown Inlet temperature on either shell or tube / hot or cold sides||–||Calculate|
|Unknown Outlet temperature on either shell or tube / hot or cold sides||–||Calculate|
|Unknown two Temperatures one shell side and another tube sides||–||Calculate|
|Unknown Flow rate on either sides||–||Calculate Mass flow or Volumetric flow based on selection|
|Shell Diameter||–||Calculate or Enter|
|Shell Thickness||–||Calculate or Enter|
|Minimum Recommended Shell Thickness||–||Calculate|
|Baffle minimum recommended thickness||–||Calculate|
|Bundle to Shell clearance||–||Calculate or Enter|
|Baffle to Shell diametral clearance||–||Calculate or Enter|
|Number of Baffles||–||Calculate|
|Baffle Spacing||–||Calculate or Enter|
|Prandtl numbers, Reynolds numbers||Calculate||Calculate|
|Unknown Outlet temperatures on both sides||Calculate||Calculate|
|Heat Duty||Required input but can Calculate||Calculate or Enter if Exit temperatures are unknown|
|Heat Transfer Area||Required input but can Calculate||Calculate|
|Log Mean Temperature Difference (Co-Current and Counter Current Flows)||Calculate||Calculate|
|Tube wall temperature||–||Calculate|
|Velocities (Shell and Tube sides)||Calculate||Calculate|
|Volumetric Flow rate||Calculate||Calculate|
|Number of tubes||Required input||Calculate|
|Tube to tube Clearance||Calculate||Calculate|
|Number of tubes per pass||Calculate||Calculate|
|Tube cross sectional||Calculate||Calculate|
|Area per pass||Calculate||Calculate|
|Number of transfer units||Calculate||Calculate|
|Thermal Capacity Ratio||Calculate||Calculate|
|Nusselt Number||Calculate based on correlation selection or Enter||Calculate based on correlation selection or Enter|
|Heat Transfer Coefficients on both sides||Calculate or Enter||Calculate or Enter|
|Scale Resistance (Dirt Factor)||Calculate||Calculate|
|Pressure Drops: Shell/Tube/Nozzles||Calculate||Calculate|
|Overall Heat Transfer Coefficients (Clean and Design)||Calculate||Calculate|
|Overall Heat Transfer Coefficients (Required)||–||Calculate|
|Over design and Over Surface||–||Calculate|
|Tube hole diameter – Baffles||–||Calculate|
|Recommended Tie Rod diameter||–||Calculate|
|Minimum number of Tie Rods||–||Calculate|
|Tube Sheet Thickness||–||Calculate|
|Tube Channel Thickness||–||Calculate|
Operating System: Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10
Microsoft.net framework 4.5 installed