Vertical thermosiphon reboiler software (VTD) is a desktop application this is made to illustrate the thermal design calculations for vertical thermosyphons. The software program especially makes use of kern technique for calculations. Major capabilities are listed beneath.
- Thermal design calculations using kern technique
- Support S.I Units and English (U.S) Units of measurement
- Unit converter consists of 23 measurements with 200-unit conversions
- Select TEMA types/designations
- Heat duty can be entered or calculated
- Counter flow or parallel flow arrangement
- Calculate or specify recirculation ratio
- Calculate or specify exit vapor mass fraction
- Calculate pressure drops, overall heat transfer coefficients…etc, the table included below includes more details on calculated variables but not limited to all of them.
- The calculations are preformed using trial and errors basis. Primarily based on the user’s preference the software can start with iterating the recirculation ratio or the tube length.
- Minimal and maximum recirculation ratios in addition to minimum and maximum tube lengths maybe specified for iterations.
- Use built in tube counts tables or use values for specifying tube dimensions and range.
- Advisory design hints and validation for max heat flux density. Mist flow at tube outlet, driving force check,
liquid height for circulation check
Available tables and databases;
- water and steam properties
- fouling factors
- Material thermal conductivities
- Typical film heat transfer coefficient values, store your own values too!
- Estimate the Physical properties of pure components for more than 1450 components; the database has the ability to estimate Thermal Conductivity, Density, Heat Capacity and Viscosity. The database also included critical properties, boiling and melting points and come as a standalone interface but easily integrated with the software.
Estimate mixture properties. (ALL ESTIMATION METHODS CURRENTLY SUPPORT LIQUIDS ONLY)
Ability to add your own properties in the additional user databases.
- Tube counts
Results are initially displayed in a data grid table containing all cases side by side with the initial case or main case being the first in the table.
The table with all cases can be copied to clipboard for pasting anywhere.
Results can also be exported to .csv file to be opened in any office software such as Microsoft excel or open office.
Drawing summary can be generated for individual case results
A results summary report of the case selected can also be generated copied or exported to .csv as well as printed.
|Description||Required input||Optional input||Calculated variable||Comments|
|Inlet mass flow rate||Yes||Yes||Yes||Calculated for unknown side|
|Log Mean Temperature||–||–||Yes||–|
|Heat transfer area||–||–||Yes||–|
|Exit liquid mass flow rate||–||–||Yes||Process side|
|Exit vapor mass flow rate||–||–||Yes||Process side|
|Exit vapor mass fraction||–||Yes||Yes||Process side|
|Number of tubes||–||Yes||Yes||–|
|Tube thickness||Yes||–||Yes||BWG list available|
|Tube inside diameter||–||Yes||Yes||–|
|Tube outside diameter||Yes||–||–||–|
|Number of baffles||–||–||Yes||–|
|Baffle to shell clearance||–||Yes||Yes||–|
|Maximum allowable heat flux||–||Yes||Yes||Assumed value can be provided|
|Heat transfer coefficient||–||Yes||Yes||–|
|Overall heat transfer coefficient (Clean)||–||–||Yes||–|
|Overall heat transfer coefficient (Design)||–||–||Yes||–|
|Critical mass flow velocity for mist flow check||–||–||Yes||–|
|Pressure drop – inlet||–||–||Yes||Shell side|
|Pressure drop – frictional||–||–||Yes||Shell side|
|Pressure drop – outlet||–||–||Yes||Shell side|
|Pressure drop – inlet||–||–||Yes||Tube side|
|Pressure drop – outlet||–||–||Yes||Tube side|
|Pressure drop – frictional||–||–||Yes||Tube side|
|Pressure drop – static||–||–||Yes||Tube side|
|Pressure drop – acceleration||–||–||Yes||Tube side|
|Required liquid height for circulation||–||–||Yes||–|
Vertical thermosiphon reboiler software benefits
Simple to use and could do multiple cases as well as provide advice through checks which might be done at some stage in calculations and displayed in effective way during each trial run. Adding to that the software license is permanent and don’t have an expiry date. Each software license may be managed via our software program activation center. License doesn’t expire as long as you observe our simple license activation and removal instructions. Network licenses is likewise available with a license term of three years may be prolonged if required. To check our licensing and pricing please visit the prices and order information page
Demo version download
Demo version can be downloaded by clicking here
The demo version is limited to operate for 90 day with the four examples included. Changes to input are not permitted.
Video demonstration clips are available here
Software Screen Shots
See more screen shots by following the links available in our screen shots page
Vertical thermosiphon reboiler software need the following computer configuration to run:
Microsoft Windows operating system
30MB free disk space;
Microsoft .Net Framework 4.6
Supported Operating systems:
Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10